Work as a Financial Director for an international organisation
The role of Finance Director is typically challenging but well paid – and in demand so far as international organisations are concerned.
This is a role that will see you play a part in the strategic decisions and shaping the direction of the organisation as it continues to evolve and grow. You will usually be responsible for all aspects of finance from management information to cash flow management, from raising funding and managing relationships to being involving in acquisitions.
As the Finance Director you will need to be competent in financial projection, scenario planning and risk management. These skills will be required to engage fully in the strategic dialogue at board level. Inevitably, as financial guardian for the organisation, there is responsibility for compliance with financial regulations and submission of statutory documentation at the appropriate time and in the appropriate manner.
Key responsibilities of a Finance Director at an international organisation include:
- Responsibility for the Finance department
- Responsibility for the management of debtors and creditors appropriately as part of the overall cash flow management within the organisation<
- Production of accurate accounts throughout the organisation
- Detailed cash flow analysis, providing board level cash flow reports weekly highlighting any issues or concerns
- Monthly production of board packs with presentation at the monthly board meetings
- Production of management reports as required and produce ‘flash’ reports to inform the various board members
- Ensuring that underlying management accounts are structured as appropriate to provide analysis to the organisation
- Producing sales and profit forecast, budgets and GAP analysis
- Production of all statutory submissions to meet with the requirements of appropriate legislation (depending on the location of the organisation and other factors such as where it operates), ensuring that all accounts are suitably audited and signed off each year
- Monitoring management and reporting
- Development of financial policies, systems and processes
- Responsibility for the performance management and development of the accounts team ensuring that at all times there is an appropriate skills and capabilities for successfully managing the needs and legal requirements of the organisation
Finance directors are typically qualified (ACA, CIMA or ACCA) with the ability to demonstrate a really strong commercial background as well as technical strength. As a finance director for an international organisation, you will need to be able to work as part of an ambitious board with a charismatic owner who is driven to become the best in the sector that the organisation operates in. In return, you’ll often see a generous salary.